ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Luxembourg
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineeringMathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/12/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONLuxembourg › Luxembourg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research university.
The University of Luxembourg seeks to hire outstanding researchers working towards a PhD degree, at its Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT).
PhD candidates in Resilient Computing Systems (M/F)
- Ref: RCREQ000 1814 / 3022
- Fixed-term contract up to 3 years in total, pending satisfaction of progress milestones (CDD)
- Full-time (40 hrs/week)
- Employee and student status
- Number of positions: 4
SnT is a centre carrying out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or international partners. SnT is active in several international research projects funded by the Horizon2020 programme and the European Space Agency. For further information you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu
CritiX (Critical and Extreme Security and Dependability) is a research group, and a laboratory for state-of-the-art research in a problem area that may be described as extreme computing, including the protection of critical systems and data against severe and persistent threats. We advocate resilience as a paradigm shift enabling a comprehensive approach to extreme security and dependability challenges, from first principles. For further information you may check: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix
Successful candidates will have the opportunity of shaping their PhD research around challenging and innovative research themes, as well as contributing to the ambitious research agenda of the CritiX lab, supported by a very substantial PEARL Grant from the Luxembourg National Research Fund, FNR (http://www.fnr.lu/funding-instruments/pearl) and several other projects, namely with Intel Labs, and others about to start (https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix/research_projects). They will be given excellent conditions for the development of their research skills, in terms of working conditions, mentoring and laboratory facilities.
The research topics this opening is calling for are:
- Resilience of Cyber-Physical System Infrastructures and Control (e.g., SCADA, CPS, autonomous vehicles).
- Internet and Cloud Infrastructures Resilience (e.g., SDN, IoT, e-health, finance).
- Security and Dependability of Embedded Components (e.g., multicores, hypervisors, TEE/SGX, ECUs).
- Data Privacy and Integrity in Highly Sensitive Sectors (e.g., blockchain, biomedical).
For further details, you may check: http://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/critix
Email informal enquiries / expressions of interest:
Prof. Dr. Paulo Esteves-Veríssimo:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , Subject: CRITIX – PHD CANDIDATE
- We welcome candidates with an MSc degree in Computer Science and/or Engineering, Informatics, or related areas in Applied Mathematics and Engineering.
- Strong course background in the theory and practice of Security and/or Fault Tolerance, and design, verification, and/or experimental evaluation of Software and/or Distributed Systems and Networks, will be considered as an advantage.
- We consider as an advantage, proven research experience (publications, awards and other relevant aspects included in the CV will be considered).
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are mandatory.
- We require commitment, team working and a critical mind.
The University offers a PhD study program with a Fixed Term Contract of 3 years which can be extended for one additional year if required.
The University offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.
You will work in an exciting international environment with researchers from over 50 nationalities.
Luxembourg City, in the centre of Europe, is an extremely well-connected town and an opportunity to get to know several European cities with little effort. It is also a nice, cosy capital, with historical areas full of life, and has recently been considered one of the best cities to work in.
Applications, written in English should be submitted online and must include all of:
- Curriculum Vitae, including photo, your contact address, training record, work experience, publications (test results are optional but relevant, e.g., GRE, TOEFL).
- Letter of intent (up to 500 words) including: (i) the personal motivations for applying to a PhD in the Univ. of Luxembourg SnT; (ii) the research topic(s) you select from the list above, in order of preference, together with your motivation for the selection.
- Transcript of all courses and results from the university-level courses taken. Copies allowed. Legal originals immediately required in case of selection.
Letters of reference are also extremely important in increasing the chances of success:
- TO BE SENT BY REFEREES DIRECTLY TO UL: letters of reference from three referees, sent directly to us, with contacts and position of person recommending, in plain ascii or pdf, emailed to:
email@example.com, Subject: CRITIX – PHD CANDIDATE.
Deadline for applications: 15th December 2019
EURAXESS offer ID: 447769
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.