ORGANISATION/COMPANYDublin City University
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE25/11/2019 18:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIreland › Dublin
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
Dublin City University
Faculty of Engineering and Computing
School of Computing
[3 year fixed term contract]
The Faculty of Engineering and Computing is home to the Schools of Computing, Electronic Engineering and Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering and a number of large-scale world-class research centres, including: INSIGHT (Data Analytics), ADAPT (Digital Content Technology), Lero (Software Engineering), Entwine (Internet of Things) and I-Form (Additive Manufacturing).
The Faculty offers degree programmes at Bachelors, Masters and PhD levels, and its graduates are highly sought after by industry. It offers a supportive, innovative learning environment in classes and tutorial-style delivery, where its students have meaningful engagement with its research-active staff and also enjoy the experience in lab-based environments.
The DCU School of Computing maintains teaching activities as central to its mission. The School offers a number of bachelor’s degree programmes such as the BSc in Computer Applications, the BSc in Enterprise Computing, and a new BSc in Data Science. It also offers a range of innovative taught master’s programmes such as the as Master in Computing with majors in Data Analytics.
The School is an active centre of research and innovation and it provides a supportive environment for research, and its numerous PhD and MSc research students.
Overview of the role: Teaching Assistants (TAs) are important and essential members of the University’s academic community. The successful candidate will be assigned to the School of Computing and will assist with the delivery of the Masters in Computing postgraduate programme. This post offers an attractive opportunity for personal development while working within an innovative and supportive environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to: Head of School/nominee
- Preparation of materials for, and delivery of, tutorials/ seminars/ discussion groups/ skills workshops
- Invigilation of in-class tests/assignments
- Supervision of computer laboratory sessions
- Assisting in the marking of assessments (essays / assignments / presentations etc.) under the supervision of a faculty member who has first and final responsibility for marking
- Dealing with student queries concerning module material – by meeting, email or online and under the supervision of a faculty member
- Assisting the module coordinator with the provision of feedback on assignments to students
- Assisting with student recruitment and School promotional activities, such as Open Day and other similar events
- Assisting with the orientation of first year students
- Research activities
- Any additional administrative activities associated with teaching and supervision, as required
by the School/Programme
- Carry out administrative and assessment duties connected with the post and such other duties as assigned from time to time by the Head of School/nominee.
The post holder will be required to undertake the following mandatory compliance training: GDPR and compliance. Other training may need to be undertaken when required.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
Candidates must hold a minimum of a 2.1 honours degree in a relevant discipline and will ideally be educated to postgraduate level. They must have good communication and interpersonal skills, be interested in student learning and be motivated to contribute to the successful running of the School.
Salary Scale: €29,060 - €32,204
Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will be made on the appropriate point of the Lecturer Above Bar or Lecturer Below Bar salary scale in line with current Government pay policy.
Closing Date: Monday, 25th November 2019
Informal Enquiries to Ms Michele Pringle, Faculty Manager, email email@example.com
Please do not send applications to this email address, instead apply as described in the job advert.
EURAXESS offer ID: 462123
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.