RESEARCH FIELDCultural studies
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/11/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Aalborg
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2020
At the Department of Culture and Learning, Aalborg University, an Associate Professor of English Language and Linguistics is available as of 1 April 2020. This is a full-time permanent position that includes both research and teaching activities.
For appointment as Associate Professor, the successful candidate is expected to:
- teach, supervise and examine students in relevant modules in bachelor's and master's degree programmes in the Department of Culture and Learning, specifically within the linguistic dimensions of the English studies degree programmes
- conduct research and publish research products at a high quality level in internationally recognised venues
- participate in external research networks and partnerships, and in doing so create and maintain productive relationships with researchers of different research and cultural backgrounds
- engage in knowledge collaboration related to the position's scientific portfolio
- contribute in a positive and constructive manner to the overall activities and working environment of the Department of Culture and Learning
In terms of research, the position includes research at an international level within modern English language, and applicants are expected to have research experience within one or more of the following areas:
- Corpus linguistics
- Functional grammar
- Text linguistics
- Register/genre studies
- Translation, including intralingual translation/popularization
In relation to research, the applicant is expected to document:
- experience, competences and achievements demonstrating the applicant's ability to deliver the highest-quality research
- a research plan that harmonizes with the Department of Culture and Learning’s strategy and shows the applicant's plans for developing new research products and projects
- experience, competences and achievements demonstrating the candidate's ability to engage in and develop external (national and international) partnerships
- experience, competences and achievements demonstrating the applicant's ability to engage in relevant research partnerships
- any experience in obtaining external funding or experience in engaging in externally funded projects.
In relation to teaching, the applicant is expected to document:
- experience, competences and achievements demonstrating the ability to provide the highest-level instruction within the linguistic area of the English studies degree programmes, with various pedagogical considerations and approaches, including supervision, conducting seminars, lectures etc.
- At Aalborg University our learning approach is problem-based learning (PBL). Documented experience with this learning approach is therefore considered an advantage, but is not a prerequisite.
- In addition to the applicant’s own research area(s), the position includes teaching and project supervision in discourse studies, sociolinguistics, stylistics, general linguistics, and core English language disciplines (such as grammar, phonetics, phonology, translation, text revision, written presentation, and oral language proficiency). Applicants must specify in which of these areas they have teaching qualifications and experience.
- It is desirable, but not required, that suitable applicants have experience with doctoral supervision.
Since translation will be one of the core teaching components of the position, the applicant must have a native command of Danish.
As teaching, supervision and examination activities are conducted in English in the English programmes at Aalborg University, applicants must master English at a high academic level. Applicants must also be
An appointment as associate professor is a permanent appointment which includes an obligation to carry out research and teaching activities. To some extent, additional tasks may be defined by the University.
Applicants for the associate professorship are required to possess research qualifications at such a level as can be attained through the successful completion of a term of employment as assistant professor, researcher, postdoc or other similar positions. Applicants must document research at an international level. In addition, applicants are assumed to have received supervision and pedagogical skills development and to have obtained a positive written assessment of their teaching qualifications.
The application must contain the following:
- Your CV
- A complete publication list specifying publication types (monographs, co-authored publications, journals, etc.). All attached publications to be taken into consideration in connection with the assessment must be clearly indicated in the list. No more than ten publications may be attached.
- In case you attach joint publications, a co-author statement must be enclosed specifying your contribution to the joint work. The co-author statement must be signed by at least one of the co-authors Template co-author declaration, at the bottom of this page
- Documentation of your teaching qualifications (Guide, at the bottom of this page)
- Copies of your degree certificates (including Master’s and PhD certificates)
Applicants will be assessed by an expert assessment committee. Applicants may subsequently be invited to an interview and/or asked to give a trial lecture.
AAU wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background or belief.
Shortlisting will be applied. This means that subsequent to the deadline for applications the head of department supported by the chair of the assessment committee will select candidates for assessment. All applicants will be informed whether they will be assessed or not. The selected applicants will be informed of the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will have the opportunity to comment on the part of the assessment that applies to the applicant in question. When the employment process has been terminated, a final rejection will be sent to the applicants who are not considered for the position.
Any enquiries about the position may be addressed to:
Professor MSO Steen Ledet Christiansen, firstname.lastname@example.org , telefon (+45) 9940 9177
Any enquiries relating to the application procedure should be addressed to Human Resources on email email@example.com.
Your application including attachments must be sent electronically by clicking the “Apply online” link below. The application must be written in English.
Expectations for a scientific employee can be foundhere
Employment will be in accordance with the stipulations of the Danish Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities (The Appointment Order), and the Danish Ministry of Finance's current circular on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities. Employment and remuneration will be in accordance with the collective agreements for academics employed by the Danish state.
EURAXESS offer ID: 462131
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.