ORGANISATION/COMPANYIMT LILLE DOUAI
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Process engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE19/02/2020 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONFrance › DOUAI
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
Missions : Composite materials are replacing rapidly metal counterparts in many transport sectors such as aeronautics, automobile and railway, by dint of their lightness and performance, as the call for the reduction of gas emission and of energy consumption is ever increasing. Nevertheless, the high cost, the lack of reliability and the immature mass production technologies have been major barriers to the widespread adoption of composite materials for structural applications. The project POPCOM (Plateforme de développement pour l’Optimisation des nouveaux Procédés COMposites) lead by IMT Lille Douai aims to address the aforementioned issues, within the framework of research program ELSAT2020 (Ecomobilité, Logistique, Sécurité, Adaptabilité dans les Transports à horizon 2020) co-financed by the European Union with the European Regional Development Fund, the French state and the Hauts de France Region Council.
In particular, the aim of this project is to optimize the advanced manufacturing technology covering the whole chain of design/manufacturing/evaluation using the POPCOM platform (https://youtu.be/ZF5E9gUmaxM):
- Optimization of mass production manufacturing technologies for thermoplastic structural composites (Thermoplastic RTM, Compression RTM, Thermoconsolidation of commingled yarns or film stacking, Overmolding …)
- Development of virtual engineering tools (e.g. simulation of mechanical behavior of composite structures considering the influence from manufacturing process such as process-induced voids and fiber misalignment)
- Advanced characterization of composite materials (e.g. X-ray microtomography to anlayze the residual voids in a final composite part or to construct a numerical mesh for RVE simulation and homogenization technique)
- Non-destructive evaluation and Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) of composite structures
Activities : The post-doctoral researcher will focus on the manufacturing and characterization of thermoplastic composites with high mechanical properties and high productivity for aeronautic and automotive applications. In particular, he/she will analyze and optimize the « process-structure-properties » relations during the thermoplastic composites considering the strong coupling among the resin flow, the heat transfer, the phase change (e.g. polymerization, crystallization) and the fiber deformation.
Candidate profile : PhD or doctorate degree in composite materials or polymer processing technologies. Strong expertise in manufacturing process, material science and rheology is mandatory. The deep knowledge in multi-physics phenomena during the manufacturing processes is highly appreciated. Good communication skill in both written and spoken English is also required.
- Composites manufacturing technologies (RTM, Compression RTM, Compression molding)
- Mechanical characterization methods
- Microstructure observation techniques (SEM, X-ray computer tomography, Optical microscopy)
- Proficient English in speaking and writing
- Material science on polymers and composites
- Polymer rheology, Fluid mechanics (e.g. Porous medium flow), Heat transfer
- Solid mechanics (e.g. Non-linear behaviors of fibrous or textile materials)
- Basic knowledge of numerical methods
EURAXESS offer ID: 470124
Posting organisation offer ID: 88905
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.