ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences › Medicine
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/08/2020 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
PhD-position at the Centre for Cancer Biomarkers (CCBIO)
At the Norwegian Centre of Excellence, Centre for Cancer Biomarkers CCBIO, Department of Clinical Science, a full-time temporary position as PhD (100 %) is available for a period of three (3) years. The position is part of CCBIOs Program 4 in the project “Rethinking Ovarian Cancer: Development of New Preclinical Tools and Design of Innovative Multimodal Treatment Strategies”, and financed by the University of Bergen.
The home institution will be University of Bergen, and the PhD candidate will work at the Department of Clinical Science in the research group INOvA (https://inova.w.uib.no). A close collaboration with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Haukeland University Hospital exists. The student will work in an interdisciplinary research environment with experts in translational medicine, imaging techniques, mass cytometry, immunology, animal models and gynecological cancer, under the supervision of the Professors Line Bjørge and Emmet McCormack.
CCBIO is directed by Professor Lars A. Akslen and is working on biomarkers in order to attain a better understanding of malignant tumors and more precise cancer treatment. The researchers have a special focus on mechanisms and biomarkers related to tumor growth and tumor-microenvironment interactions and the impact this has upon metastasis and poor prognosis. The research activity is organized in four programs: basic studies and animal models (Program 1), discovery and validation of new biomarkers (Program 2), clinical studies (Program 3), and studies on ethics, economics and priorities (Program 4). CCBIO has a strong international profile and collaborators worldwide. More about CCBIO
About the project/work tasks:
- For women with ovarian cancer, the clinical efficacy of immune checkpoint blockade has been modest with single agents. To enhance response rates to immune therapeutic agents and to broaden the indication for treatment, new approaches with combinational therapy are needed.
- The aim of PhD project entitled ”Combined CD73 and PD-L1 Blockade Immunotherapy in Ovarian Carcinoma” is to describe the value of combined immune checkpoint blockade in patients with epithelial high-grade serous ovarian carcinomas. We will identify biomarkers that are associated with clinical outcome parameters and portray the in vivo activity. The knowledge gained will be used to identify biomarker-enrichment strategies that permit improved patient selection when choosing therapy.
- Biological samples from clinical treatment trials as well and animal models will be examined, and the candidate will apply a combination of different techniques like mass cytometry, multiplex analysis, targeted sequencing and copy number variation analysis as well as work with preclinical animal models.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- We invite applicants from highly motivated students with a wide range of academic backgrounds, and a master degree in: immunology, medicine, veterinarian medicine, genetics and/or molecular biology is a requirement.
- Competence in immunology, molecular and cellular biology is a requirement.
- Experience with preclinical models, flow cytometry and mass cytometry is desirable.
- Experience from relevant research projects will be advantageous.
- Experience in bioinformatic analysis will be advantageous.
- A valid FELASA B/C license will be advantageous.
- Responsibilities will include active participation in the development and full execution of the projects, manuscript preparation, presentation of results and working in collaboration with other members of the team. The candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have excellent collaborative skills
- Applicants must not be allergic to animals and must be willing to work with animals and conduct animal experiments.
- The applicant must be fluent in oral and written English
Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicants enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education in question (bachelor and master degree) is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. The review from NOKUT may take some time and the application should be sent to NOKUT as soon as you have decided to apply for the position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application.
Language qualifications: http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
About the PhD position (applies to university PhD positions):
Organized research training (PhD program):
The candidate must take part in the University of Bergen approved PhD programme leading to the degree within a time limit of 3 years. You must have admission to the organized research training (PhD program) at the Faculty in order to qualify for the position. Application for admission to the PhD programme, including a project plan outline for the training plan must be submitted no later than three months after the date of commencement.
PhD-positions are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed in a PhD-position for more than one fixed term period at the same institution or have had similar employment at an institution in the region.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at pay grade 54 (code 1017/pay framework 20.10) NKR 479 600 before taxes, in the state scale. Further increases in salary will be based on seniority in the position. For applicants with at least one year of employment in a position as a General Practitioner or Dentist, salary level 56. Medical specialist start on wage level 59.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- Certified copies of diplomas and transcripts of grades. Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicants enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education in question (bachelor and master degree) is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see www.nokut.no/en for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. This may take some time and we recommend you to apply as soon as you know you will apply for this position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application
- Documentation of language skills (English) http://www.uib.no/en/med/115526/english-language-requirements-phd-admission
- Complete list of publications and scientific work you want to be evaluated
- Any publication in your name
- Two referees (name and contact information)
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting: Professor Line Bjørge; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; phone: +4748152145
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
Life as a PhD candidate at UiB
Marion Claireaux tells about life and work as a PhD candidate at UiB.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are five departments and seven centres at Faculty of Medicine.
EURAXESS offer ID: 538976
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.