Foreign workers who are citizens of a country outside the European Economic Area generally need a work permit in order to work in Belgium. However, under certain conditions, postdoctoral researchers who have a fellowship or a work contract may be exempted from the work permit requirement providing their host institution provides them with an “ Avis d’arrivée” or a “Convention d’accueil (Hosting agreement) respectively.
If you need a work permit, your employer in Belgium must submit an application to the authorities of the Region in which it is based. There are three types of work permit (see Federal). . Once authorization to employ you has been granted by the relevant authorities, the foreign worker can submit a visa application.
There are three types of work permit. The type of work permit conditions the application procedure.
In a nutshell:
- Work Permit A is valid for any kind of salaried occupation, and is of unlimited duration. It is granted to workers who have held a Work Permit B for 4 years during a maximum of 10 years of legal and uninterrupted stay in Belgium. The worker has to apply to the regional authorities for this type of Work Permit.
- Work Permit B is restricted to a given employer and is valid for 12 months. The employer has to apply to the regional authorities for this type of work permit.
- Work Permit C is valid for all salaried occupations, and is of limited duration. It is usually granted to given categories of foreign citizens with a limited or precarious right of stay in Belgium. Usually, the spouse of a researcher under a Hosting Agreement is only entitled to receive this type of Work Permit.
For further information regarding work permits, see:
Authorities in charge of the employment authorization and of work permits A, B and C in Flanders:
- Ministerie van de Vlaamse Gemeenschap
Vlaams Subsidieagentschap voor Werk en Sociale Economie
Koning Albert II, laan 35 (bus 21)
Tél.: 02/553 39 42 - fax : 02/553 44 22
Site Internet : http://www.werk.be/en/home
Authorities in charge of the occupation authorization and of work permits A, B and C in Wallonia:
- Ministère de la Région wallonne
Division de l'emploi et de la formation
Place de Wallonie 1
Tél.: 081/33 31 11 - fax : 081/33 43 22
Site Internet : http://emploi.wallonie.be
Authorities in charge of the employment authorization and of work permits A, B and C in Brussels-Region:
- Ministère de la Région de Bruxelles-capitale
Direction de la Politique de l'Emploi et de l'Economie plurielle
Rue du Progrès 80
Tél.: 02/204 13 99 - fax : 02/204 15 28
Site Internet : http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet.be/fr/
Authorities in charge of the employment authorization and of work permits A, B and C in the German-speaking Community:
- Ministerium der Deutschsprachigen Gemeinschaft
Abteilung, Beschäftigung, Gesundheit und Soziales
Tél.: 087/59 64 86 - fax : 087/55 64 73
Site Internet : http://www.dglive.be