Foreign workers who are citizens of a country outside the European Economic Area generally need a work permit in order to work in Belgium. However, under certain conditions, postdoctoral researchers who have a fellowship or a work contract may be exempted from the work permit requirement providing their host institution provides them with a specific document or with a Hosting agreement.
If you need a work permit, your employer in Belgium must submit an application to the authorities of the Region in which it is based. There are three types of work permit (see Federal). Once authorization to employ you has been granted by relevant authority, you can submit a visa application.
There are three types of work permit. The type of work permit conditions the application procedure.
In a nutshell:
- Work Permit A is valid for any kind of salaried occupation, and is of unlimited duration. It is granted to workers who have held a Work Permit B for 4 years during a maximum of 10 years of legal and uninterrupted stay in Belgium. The worker has to apply to the regional authorities for this type of work permit.
- Work Permit B is restricted to a given employer and is valid for 12 months. The worker has to apply to the regional authorities for this type of work permit.
- Work Permit C is valid for all salaried occupations, and is of limited duration. It is usually granted to given categories of foreign citizens with limited or precarious rights of stay in Belgium. Usually, the spouse of a researcher under a Hosting Agreement is only entitled to receive this type of Work Permit.
For further information regarding work permits, see:
Authorities in charge of the employment authorization and of work permits A, B and C in Flanders:
- Ministerie van de Vlaamse Gemeenschap
Vlaams Subsidieagentschap voor Werk en Sociale Economie
Koning Albert II, laan 35 (bus 21)
Tél.: 02/553 39 42 - fax : 02/553 44 22
Site Internet : http://www.werk.be/en/home
Authorities in charge of the occupation authorization and of work permits A, B and C in Wallonia:
- Ministère de la Région wallonne
Division de l'emploi et de la formation
Place de Wallonie 1
Tél.: 081/33 31 11 - fax : 081/33 43 22
Site Internet : http://emploi.wallonie.be
Authorities in charge of the occupation authorization and of work permits A, B and C in Brussels-Region:
- Ministère de la Région de Bruxelles-capitale
Direction de la Politique de l'Emploi et de l'Economie plurielle
Rue du Progrès 80
Tél.: 02/204 13 99 - fax : 02/204 15 28
Site Internet : http://www.werk-economie-emploi.irisnet.be/fr/
Authorities in charge of the occupation authorization and of work permits A, B and C in the German-speaking Community:
- Ministerium der Deutschsprachigen Gemeinschaft
Abteilung, Beschäftigung, Gesundheit und Soziales
Tél.: 087/59 64 86 - fax : 087/55 64 73
Site Internet : http://www.dglive.be