ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/02/2020 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
Job description The PhD position is in experimental physics and aims to perform the best tests of bound-state Quantum Electrodynamics in singly ionised helium (in a Paul trap) and molecular hydrogen (in a beam), in search for physics beyond the Standard Model. It involves precision spectroscopy using advanced lasers and methods, such as a frequency comb lasers, ultrafast lasers and parametric amplification, trapping, laser cooling, and nonlinear optics such as high-harmonic generation (HHG). Your duties
- experimental research, based on advanced lasers and quantum-state control, leading to scientific papers, a finished thesis, and a PhD degree
- you can be asked to perform educational duties for the department for up to 10% of your time
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,325 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €2,972 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 4 years. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
- discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance)
Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter (letter of motivation) and provide the name and email address of 2 references. You can apply until 31 January 2020, but applications are evaluated continuously until the position is filled.Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. K.S.E. Eikema
Position: Group leader Ultrafast Laser Physics and Precision Metrology for Fundamental Tests
Web site for additional job details
- MSc in Physics, Technical Physics, Optical Physics, or similar
- knowledge of, and experience with, lasers and atomic physics is an advantage, but not required
- proficiency in written and spoken English
- show a proactive research orientation
EURAXESS offer ID: 470180
Posting organisation offer ID: 288031
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.